Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Shoes Preschool Story Time, 9/27/13

Shoes Preschool Story Time, 9/27/13

Last Friday afternoon's Preschool Story Time was my last story time for the foreseeable future. It's still so weird to  think that I won't be planning or performing formal story times for any children other than my own when he or she arrives, but I'm happy to say that this last preschool story time was one of the best. The theme was shoes, and nine kids came with their parents!

Book: Whose Shoes? by Stephen R. Swinburne
The kids were very hesitant to name who wore the ballerina slippers, but by the end of the book, they were throwing out guesses both serious and silly.  (And one adorable little girl kept saying, "I don't know!" and laughing, which was fantastic.

Book: Shoes from Grandpa by Mem Fox
This cumulative story does go for a bit, but the kids seemed mostly into it, and the adults laughed out loud at the somewhat surprising ending. 

Song: Hat Coat Pants and Shoes 
Pregnant ladies should not do this song. That is one reason why I'm glad there are no more story times in my immediate future. Bending over is just not happening!

Clothesline Story: The Case of the Missing Shoe
This rhyming story pretends that the storyteller has lost her shoe. She must look behind various household objects to find it, but each time the shoe found is the wrong color. Finally, the storyteller realizes the shoe has been on her foot the whole time. I told this as a clothesline story, and it went over very well. I plan to share the whole concept in an upcoming Flannel Friday post.

Book: Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes by Eric Litwin
We had  a family of Pete the Cat fans in the room, which made this book even more fun to read than usual. Another family snatched it up after story time and the older son, who is five, had a great time pointing out different things in the illustrations to his mom. 

Coloring Page: Who wears these shoes?

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...