Ducks and geese are popular characters in picture books. Here are ten titles starring these fluffy feathered friends.
- Duck and Goose by Tad Hills
Duck and Goose become friends when they each fall in love with a polka dotted ball they believe to be an egg.
- Gossie by Olivier Dunrea
Gossie loves to wear red boots every day - a habit which leads her to make a like-minded friend.
- The Day the Goose Got Loose by Reeve Lindbergh, illustrated by Stephen Kellogg
When the goose gets loose, utter chaos breaks out on the farm in this rhyming story.
- A Splendid Friend, Indeed by Suzanne Bloom
A very chatty goose and a quiet, thoughtful bear form an unlikely friendship. (This book was a 2006 Geisel Honor book, meaning it's a great choice for beginning readers!)
- Petunia by Roger Duvoisin
When Petunia finds a book, she assumes she has been given all the wisdom necessary to give advice to other farm animals, with silly and hilarious results.
- Across the Stream by Mirra Ginsburg, illustrated by Nancy Tafuri
When a mother hen and her chicks are threatened by the presence of a nightmarish fox, they escape across the stream on the backs of a mother duck and her ducklings.
- Angus and the Ducks by Marjorie Flack
When Angus the terrier goes out exploring, he has a surprise encounter with some neighborhood ducks, who scare the curiosity right out of him!
- Little White Duck illustrated by Joan Paley
This picture book adaptation of a well-known folk song uses large, colorful images to portray the actions of a duck, frog, bug, and snake.
- One Duck Stuck by Phyllis Root, illustrated by Jane Chapman
This rhythmic counting book tells of the efforts of different animals to rescue the duck who is stuck in the muck down in the marsh.
- The Fuzzy Duckling by Jane Werner Watson, illustrated by Alice and Martin Provensen
In this Golden Book, a fuzzy little duckling walks down the lane greeting other animals as he goes.