Friday, July 19, 2013

My Body (My Hair) Preschool Story Time, 7/18/13

I was really excited about this theme, and I've been working on it for weeks, trying to find just the right materials. I wound up writing my own flannel board and action song, and adding a book at the last minute, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. In attendance were 14 kids and 8 adults. The kids ranged in age from two to six. 

Book: Baghead by Jarrett R. Krosoczka
The kids all liked this book, and all of them said they'd never wear a bag to school.

Flannel Board: I’m Going to the Barber 
This is a flannel board I created. I will share it in a future Flannel Friday post.  The kids enjoyed it and it sparked some discussion about the kinds of hairstyles we might like to have someday.

Book: Crazy Hair Day by Barney Saltzberg
The kids were engrossed in this book, but they had very little to say about it.

Song: At the Hair Salon
I came up with five actions to do at the hair salon - squeezing shampoo, washing hair, combing hair, cutting hair, and drying hair -  and we sang them to the tune of "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush."

Song: Shake My Sillies Out

Book: Falling for Rapunzel by Leah Wilcox
This book was the dud, even though the kids were the right age to get the humor. Not sure why.

Book: Crazy Hair by Neil Gaiman
This book was a hit with the parents, surprisingly. In fact, two different adults approached me afterward to comment on how much they liked the story time, and the last two books in particular, because they rhymed. One had never been to a story time before (she was an au pair from another country) and she was really intrigued by the entire concept and loved it even more than the child who was with her!

Coloring Page: Finish the Drawing from Education.com
I told the kids this was their chance to draw crazy hair, and they got really into it! Even the kids who normally just stare blankly at their papers got excited, and I saw some great creativity, including a boy whose babysitter helped him draw a car driving over his hair.

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...