Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pajama Story Time, 9/26/12

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here

Sometimes you feel like a theme - sometimes you don't. This time, I did, and I went with books demonstrating the concepts of up and down. 11 kids came to this story time, and a ton of parents as well, and it was a bit more hectic than usual, but the kids seemed to like all the books and activities, except possibly my homemade flannel board.

Book: Up! by Kristine O'Connell George, illustrated by Hiroe Nakata
This was a real parent-pleaser. I try to read at least one of those at every pajama story time.

Song: Way Up in the Sky
I love everything I find from King County Library System's amazing online collection of songs and rhymes. The librarian in this video especially charmed me. I just love  the way she sings this song. And my groups have started to love it, too. 

Flannel Board: Mommy is Asleep
I tried this with a smaller group because I wanted an opportunity to tell it for an audience before presenting it to the big, drop-in group.  They didn't really like it, but I think the bigger groups will.

Book: The Bridge is Up by Babs Bell
This book was a bit too babyish for half the group and just right for the other half.

Song: Bumpin’ Up and Down in My Little Red Wagon

Book: Rollercoaster by Marla Frazee
I would never read this to a very large group because the illustrations have so much detail. It worked nicely in a group like this, where everyone could move in close to take a look. And the parents loved the ending even more than the kids! 

Rhyme:
Let's Go Riding on the Elevator

Book: Sky-High Guy by Nina Crews
This is a nice book about two brothers who come together to rescue a toy who gets stuck in a tree. The kids were interested in the photos, but not as engaged with the plot. 

Song: Tommy Thumb

Book: Higher Higher by Leslie Patricelli
I think I'm getting sick of this one. My delivery is starting to sound forced.

Song with Puppets: Goodnight by the Laurie Berkner Band

Song: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...