Saturday, October 6, 2012

Drop-In Story Time, 10/5/12

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here

I highly recommend taking a break when story time starts to burn you out. It wasn't quite intentional, but I wound up not doing this story time for almost two weeks, and coming back to it yesterday it was like I was a new person. I was relaxed, my transitions were smooth, and though the group was not as large as normal, they were engaged for the full thirty minutes. (My transitions are in red, because I want to remember how I did them.)

Song: The Rules Song
This is a song the other children's librarian and I wrote together to the tune of The Farmer in the Dell. The basic structure of it is as follows:

Rule number 1, rule number 1
No eating in the library.
That's rule number 1. 

We name three more rules, and then rule #5 is "Have lots of fun at story time."I got the group involved by asking them to show me their fingers for each number.

Song: Way Up in the Sky

I have a whole book about saying good morning. It's called Hello, Day! 


Book: Hello, Day! by Anita Lobel

Wow, look at this beautiful moon. I'm going to put this book down so I can make a moon with my hands. Can you do this? Let's sing a moon song.

Song: Moon Moon Moon 

Would you like to read another book? You would?

Song: If You’d Like to Read a Book

 Great! Here's a book.  It's called Little Blue Truck.
Book: Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle 

What a nice story. Those animals really helped that truck! I bet you can drive a truck. Can you show me your steering wheel?

 Song: Drive, Drive, Drive Your Truck / Row Row Row Your Boat

One place we might go in a truck or a boat is the beach. A bear lives near this beach. This book is called Bear's Day Out


Book:  Bear’s Day Out by Michael Rosen

You really helped Bear on his day out. Give yourselves a hand!

I'm going to put a letter on the board. Look, the letter G! And look, a friend who starts with G! Who is this? That's right, a giraffe! I know a poem about the giraffe.
 
Letter of the Day: Letter G 
  • Poem with Puppet: Giraffes Don't Huff
    This poem is all about how giraffes don't make any sound. At the end of the poem, we all said, "shhhh" together.

    Two more words that start with G are "Grandma" and "glasses." Can you put some pretend glasses on your eyes?
     

  • Rhyme: Here are Grandma’s Glasses
    One more G word. These are... gumballs!
  • Flannel Board: How Many Gumballs?
    I am especially proud of this flannel board, and I want to wait until this week's Flannel Friday post to reveal it. Stay tuned!
Good counting everybody! Now let's sing some more.

Songs with Ukulele: ABCs / Twinkle Twinkle Little Star / Baa Baa Black Sheep

That was so nice, we'll keep singing. Let's clap.

Song: Sing a Happy Song

Song: Bumpin’ Up and Down in My Little Red Wagon

Song: Chickadee

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...