Friday, January 11, 2013

Welcome to Winter! Preschool Story Time, 1/11/13

Today was one of our better-attended preschool story time sessions - 8 kids in all! Some things, I came up with at the very last minute, but they all worked really well. 

Welcome to Winter! Preschool Story Time, 1/11/13
 Click to download this week's handout. 

Book: Over and Under the Snow by Kate Messner, illustrated by Christopher Silas Neal
I think this is a much better read-aloud than I was expecting, because most of  the kids seemed mesmerized. Only one little girl didn't like it and kept saying so to her mom.

Book and Activity: The Mitten by Jan Brett
For this story, I created a mitten on the floor with blue masking tape, as shown above. (The idea came from Pinterest.) Each of the kids had one of these cards and when their animal was called, they stepped into the mitten. At the end, when the bear sneezes, we all sneezed and jumped out of the mitten.

Song: If You Have a...
We were going to do an actual sequencing activity with the  sequencing cards but I quickly realized these kids would not be up to it. Instead, I sang to the tune of Mary Wore Her Red Dress: "If you have the badger... bring it up to me." That worked really well.

Rhyme: Hedgehog's Hungry
This was another spur of  the moment idea. I tried out my new puppet, and asked the kids what they would feed him. The most popular answer, overwhelmingly, was dirt. (Credit for this idea goes to Miss Tara, who suggested feeding the puppet.)

Song: Hat, Coat, Pants and Shoes 
Only one little girl found this funny, but it was worth it to hear her laugh. 

Book: Cold Snap by Eileen Spinelli, illustrated by Marjorie Priceman
This is a long one to be the last story of a session like this, but they liked it. And I love the artwork. 


I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

7 comments :

  1. This seem like it would be a huge success! Looking at the photo you posted with your article makes me ask the questions though, what is with the oven mitten shaped blue painters tape on the floor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mitt taped on the floor. I've used a big white sheet shaped like a mitten before for the children to crawl under but the mitten outline may be easier - will have to try it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mitten outline was easy to set up and clean up. I definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  3. The tape mitten and cards are a wonderful idea! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mitten on the floor was such a good idea! Even if you have bigger groups of kids, you could print multiple cards of each animal and have the kids squeeze in the mitten! I want to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mitten on the floor was such a good idea! Even if you have bigger groups of kids, you could print multiple cards of each animal and have the kids squeeze in the mitten! I want to try this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...