Friday, June 15, 2012

Flannel Friday: H-A-P-P-Y

The more favorite songs, rhymes, and books I discover, the more difficult it becomes to choose among them, so I have started doing more themed story times just to make it easier to organize myself and keep some variety in my repertoires. On Tuesday, I did a feelings theme, where the biggest hit was a song I wrote called H-A-P-P-Y.  I used clipart from Clker.com to make popsicle stick puppets (my group is too large these days for my small flannel board to be practical), and then rewrote the lyrics to a song I originally saw at Preschool Express. Here is the end result:


 Smiley Face Clip Art
When I'm feeling full of joy,
I am feeling happy!
H-A-P-P-Y
H-A-P-P-Y
H-A-P-P-Y
I am feeling happy!

Angry Smiley Clip Art 
When I'm feeling mad and mean,
I am feeling angry!
A-N-G-R-Y
A-N-G-R-Y
A-N-G-R-Y
I am feeling angry!

Smiley With Tongue Out Clip Art 
When I'm feeling full of beans,
I am feeling silly!
S-I-L-L-Y
S-I-L-L-Y
S-I-L-L-Y
I am feeling silly!

(Note: One of my coworkers uses the phrase "full of beans" to describe kids when they're acting silly. I think it's a great phrase so I stuck it in my song.)


Snoring Sleeping Zz Smiley Clip Art 
When it's time to go to bed,
I am feeling tired.
T-I-R-E-D
T-I-R-E-D
T-I-R-E-D
I am feeling tired!


The only thing I might do differently the next time I use this is to have the letters for each word on hand. I don't know how much toddlers understand spelling anyway, but having the letters on the flannel board to point to might help them make a connection to the letters, whereas singing them without any visual cues might have been confusing. That said, they liked this song a lot on Tuesday, and it was a fun change from my usual songs!

This week's Flannel Friday host is Sarah at Read It Again! Find out more about Flannel Friday on the official website.

2 comments :

  1. What a great idea! Love the song and the faces! Your storytime friends must have loved them, too.

    I will definitely be adding this to my ever-growing TBM ( to be made) pile. It is getting almost as big as my TBR book pile! Lol!

    Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    ~ K ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I'll be using this in my feelings storytime!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...