Friday, December 9, 2011

Flannel Friday: Who is Knocking at my Door?

This is not strictly a holiday flannel board, but it works so well for this time of year when people are having so many family get-togethers.

I used my door from Five Little Birds, and my kizclub.com family from Knock, Knock! and wrote this song about relatives coming to visit, and how we might greet each one. The tune is London Bridge.


Begin each verse by pretending to knock on a door.

Who is knocking at my door, at my door, at my door?
Who is knocking at my door?
Look! It’s Mommy.
Let’s give Mom a great big kiss, great big kiss, great big kiss.
Let’s give Mom a great big kiss.
Goodbye, Mommy!
Pause each time you sing the word kiss to blow a kiss.

Who is knocking at my door, at my door, at my door?
Who is knocking at my door?
Look! It’s Daddy.
Let’s give Dad a great big hug, great big hug, great big hug.
Let’s give Dad a great big hug. 
Goodbye, Daddy! 
For this one, adults can hug the kids in their laps, or kids can hug themselves.

Who is knocking at my door, at my door, at my door?
Who is knocking at my door?
Look! It’s Grandma.
Let’s give Grandma a great big smile, great big smile, great big smile.
Let’s give Grandma a great big smile.
Goodbye, Grandma!
It's tricky to smile and sing, but they get a kick out of trying. I also put my fingers up to the sides of my mouth to show I'm smiling.

Who is knocking at my door, at my door, at my door?
Who is knocking at my door?
Look! It’s Grandpa.
Let’s give Grandpa a great big wave, great big wave, great big wave.
Let’s give Grandma a great big wave. Goodbye, Grandpa!
Wave in a big exaggerated motion.

Who is knocking at my door, at my door, at my door?
Who is knocking at my door.
Look! It’s my family.
Let’s tell everyone I love you, I love you, I love.
Let’s tell everyone I love you.
I love my family!
Make the ASL sign for I love you, which my groups know from our version of Wheels on the Bus.

This week, Flannel Friday is hosted by Liz at Putting Smiles on Faces. Also check out Flannel Friday's boards on Pinterest, and the list of previous Flannel Friday round-ups at So Tomorrow.

6 comments :

  1. Very cute idea!

    I just have to ask ~ what is your version of "Wheels on the Bus"? I use lots of sign language in my programs and would love a new version of "Wheels on the Bus" to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use a CD called Toddler Favorites, which has a very long version (probably about 4 minutes) of The Wheels on the Bus. The verse about the parents has them saying, "I love you," instead of "Shh shh shh," and the hand motion we do is the ASL sign. It's the only sign we use, but I have considered starting to incorporate others.

    The CD looks like this: http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/Various-Artists-Toddler-Favorites/106328/product.html?cid=123620

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Katie! I have that CD from when I was a children's program developer for B&N. Yay! No searching around or extra expenditure for me. ;-)

    I will have to listen to that version. We start every storytime with 3 songs and "Wheels on the Bus" is the song that leads into our stories. I could sure use a new version after 10 yrs! LOL

    Btw, I highly recommend adding signs to your storytimes ~ if you are comfortable with it. I have had nothing but positive feedback from the parents and caregivers. I use signs during songs and during booksharing. It helps keep the little ones' attentions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I'm sick of our version after just one year! I switched to the Raffi because it's shorter.

    When I was in grad school, I worked in a preschool for children with special needs - primarily autism - and picked up a lot of basic signs there. I might need to refresh some of them, but I used to love signing the ABCs and If You're Happy and You Know It, as well as all the animals on Old MacDonald's Farm. I have no doubt my groups would enjoy it, I just to have feel confident that I'm signing correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this song! It reminds me of a game my sisters and I used to play. I think it was called Mystery Date where there was a door and depending on how you turned the door knob you got a different 'date.' Hmmm...I wonder if that could be adapted to your song?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be a great way to introduce family signs - very repetitive.
    I have interpreted for the deaf for more than 14 years before coming back to work int he early years. I incorporate sign every week and this is the link to some family signs.
    http://strongstart.blogspot.com/2011/02/sign-of-week-mom-dad-brother-sister.html
    Thanks for the new song.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...