Thursday, August 1, 2013

Follow Your Nose Preschool Story Time, 8/1/13

Follow Your Nose Preschool Story Time, 8/1/13

Small crowd today - just five kids, including the four-year-old twins who typically don't talk, a six-year-old and her toddler brother, and one other toddler.

Book: Farley Follows His Nose by Lynn Johnston
This is surprisingly well done. I love the For Better or For Worse comic strip,  but I wasn't sure how a picture book would hold up. I couldn't tell whether the kids liked it, but I would try using it again.

Book: Chu’s Day by Neil Gaiman
This book was a hit. The false sneezes and eventual havoc gave at least one kid the giggles.

Activity: Bingo the Clown Clothesline
This activity was designed to introduce a little bit of movement into the story time without requiring a lot of singing.  I wanted something with clown noses, and I came across this Colorful Noses Movement Activity with a reindeer rhyme from Mailbox magazine. I changed the reindeer to a clown and put each verse of the rhyme on its own little card. Then I labeled the backs of the cards with colors and strung them up so the kids could easily choose one. Then we did the movements as a group. It sounds a bit complicated, but it was actually a big success.

Flannel Board Story: A Perfect Nose for Ralph by Jane Breskin Zalben
Next week, my Flannel Friday post will  focus on this flannel board. I like the way I told this one. I think I'm better at telling stories without the book in front of me than I realize.

Book: I Broke My Trunk by Mo Willems
I think I might need to stop reading Elephant and Piggie books aloud. The kids don't seem to follow the dialogue, and I'm not willing to do silly voices.

Coloring Page: "Color the Elephant" from TwistyNoodle

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...