Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Let's Read About Pets! Drop-In Story Time, 1/29/13

 Let's Read About Pets! Drop-In Story Time, 1/29/13
*No handout this week - no one takes them, so they result in lots of scrap paper and I haven't been able to put them on our website in a timely manner to make it worthwhile.

I'm still fighting a cold, so I could barely sing. I left the ukulele at home so that I wouldn't be tempted to overdo it, and used a lot more rhymes than usual. It worked out fine, and everyone was into the cat theme. 

Book: Mama Cat Has Three Kittens by Denise Fleming

Rhyme with Puppets: Two Little Kittens
This was a bigger hit than it has ever been. I saw lots of kids using their hands as kittens and trying to say the rhyme with me.

Book: Have You Seen My Cat? by Eric Carle
This got a lot of applause despite the fact that it didn't look like anyone was listening. One girl - she was about three - did answer me every time I asked, "Have you seen my cat?" which was very cute. I kept a post-it note with the name of each type of cat on the back flap of the jacket so I could name what we were looking at.

Song: All the Cats 
We sang about a cat, a tiger, and a lion.

Book: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin and Dean Martin

Rhyme: This is Big, Big, Big

Letter of the Day: X
This is the trickiest letter, and I'm proud of how I tackled it!
  • One Xylophone (based on One Violin; we used "plink" instead of "zin")
  • Pirate Rex's Four Xs (coming soon to Flannel Friday!)
Song: ABCs

Song: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star 

Song: Baa Baa Black Sheep

Rhyme: Wiggle Fingers

 Song: Shake My Sillies Out 

Song: The Itsy Bitsy Spider 

Song: If You're Happy and You Know It

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...