Thursday, December 20, 2012

Preschool Story Time, 12/14/12 (Holiday Theme)

Figure out the Word: Latke
The idea behind this activity is for the kids to name the letters with me, but when story time started, the only child in the room was a child who didn't know any of them. So I quickly named the letters myself, pointing to the posterboard on which I'd written them, and showed him the word, then started our story. Thankfully, just as I turned to the title page, two more kids came in.

 
Book: The Golem’s Latkes by Eric A. Kimmel, illustrated by Aaron Jasinski

Song: L-A-T-K-E
This is Bingo, but with latkes!

Rhyme: Santa Claus, Santa Claus, are you behind the _______ tree?
I didn't have time to make a flannel board for this, so I just cut out paper trees and a paper Santa and taped them to poster board. Thankfully, by this point four kids were in the room, and at least two of them were old enough to know their colors. Santa was behind the black tree because it was the only one that wasn't translucent enough to show Santa through the paper!

Book: Shall I Knit You a Hat?: A Christmas Yarn by Kate Klise and M. Sarah Klise
This was a flop. The kids had nothing to say about it at all!




Book: Merry Un-Christmas by Mike Reiss, illustrated by David Catrow
This was the hit of the session. I'm not sure all the kids got it, but they enjoyed it anyway.

Song with Ukulele and Musical Instruments: Jingle Bells
I handed out some of our triangles and rhythm sticks and let the kids play along as I played Jingle Bells on the ukulele. Most of them seemed to have no idea what to do. 

Song: We Wish You...

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...