Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Drop-In Story Time, 10/16/12


 
Book: Arabella Miller's Tiny Caterpillar by Clare Jarrett
This was a little bit long for my babies and toddlers, but the majority of kids were with me at the end because when I asked what the caterpillar turned into, everyone called out butterfly right away. 

Song: One, Two, Three Caterpillars
This is a song I wrote based on Ten Little Indians, where you count fingers, then put them together to make a butterfly. Simple, and good for adults to do with babies on their laps.

Book: Princess Baby by Karen Katz
When I read this to myself, I thought nothing of it, but when I read it aloud, I realized it's kind of a how-to for being spoiled. The kids seemed mesmerized by  the bright colors, though, and the page where the baby is shown dressed as a buttercup and her other pet names was my favorite.

Song: There is Clapping in the Castle 
I like this song a lot, and normally I don't change the words at all when I share it, even when I don't use the recording. Today, though, I decided "mirth and merriment abound" was a bit much for the toddler crowd, and I changed the end of the first verse to, "Can you hear that clapping sound?" Then we stomped and snapped for the other two verses. 

Book: Golden Bear by Ruth Young, illustrated by Rachel Isadora
I realized when I started to read that I had no idea if  the child is a boy or a girl. I have since decided it's a boy. 

Rhyme: Two Little Teddy Bears
I love to write new rhymes based on Two Little Blackbirds. This is a recent one:

Two little teddy bears
sitting on my bed.
One named Lucy, 
One named Fred.
A big hug for Lucy.
A big hug for Fred.
Goodnight, little teddy bears,
lay down your sleepy heads!  

Letter of the Day: Letter H
Songs (with ukulele): ABCs / Twinkle Twinkle Little Star / Baa Baa Black Sheep 

Song: Sing a Happy Song 

Song: Brown Squirrel / Gray Squirrel 

Song: Bumpin' Up and Down in My Little Red Wagon 

Song: The Wheels on the Bus


I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...