Friday, February 17, 2012

Pre-K Class Visit, 2/16/12

Yesterday (Thursday) was an all-day marathon for me. The day started at 10:00 with yoga story time, where I read stories, and an instructor from the nearby yoga studio performed the corresponding yoga movements. It was a wonderful program, but since it was mostly her content and not mine, I've opted not to write about it in any more detail on my blog. Hopefully, since it looks like this will be an ongoing program for our library, I will be able to write more generally about the benefits of collaborating with a yoga studio in the future. But for now, I'm moving right on to my second story time of the day, a class visit from the Pre-K kids at the Catholic school next door!

I love this group, because they're great listeners, and they love stories. This morning, we shared some of my favorite books, a rhyme, and a few songs.

Hello Song: Hello, how are you?


Book: Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin, illustrated by Betsy Lewin (2000)
This book is so much fun. The kids picked right up on the "click clack moo" refrain and chanted it with me each time. The ending was a huge hit, especially since most of  them had never read the book before.

Rhyme: Blue is the Lake

Book: Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina (1947)
The kids were completely and utterly silent the entire time I read this book, to the point that I wondered if it was lost on them, but when I finished a little boy's whole face lit up, and he said, "That was so funny!" I love seeing kids react to classic books for the first time.

Song: Rum Sum Sum

Book: Birds by Kevin Henkes, illustrated by Laura Dronzek (2009)
I read this book because I can't wait for Spring. I'm sure this will turn up again throughout the Spring. 

Song: Chickadee (a cappella)

Book: Go Away, Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley (1993)
It's fun reading this book with big kids who can repeat phrases after me and help me send the monster away!

Goodbye Song: We Wave Goodbye Like This

The marathon continued after this story time with Baby Lap Time and an After School Story Time for Presidents' Day. Stay tuned for posts about those, coming up next...

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...