Friday, October 7, 2011

Baby/Toddler Lap Time, 10/7

Opening Song: Hello, how are you? 

Rhyme: This is Big, Big, Big (twice)

Rhyme: Dance Your Fingers (twice)

Book: This is NOT a Pumpkin by Bob Staake (2007)
I really had no idea how this was going to go over, but it was a surprise hit. I think they liked the simplicity of the illustrations, and the punch line. My only criticism of the book itself is that it beats the punch line over the head, resulting in a somewhat anti-climactic ending. But it would make an awesome flannel board adaptation. I might make that happen, since all I'd need to do is make a jack-o-lantern and memorize the story. We'll see.

Song: Brown Squirrel 
This was great! Babies love to watch puppets move around, and my makeshift popsicle stick puppet works really well for this one. I am going to start doing more of those.

Song: You Are My Sunshine (a cappella, sung twice)

Song: I'm a Little Teapot

Song: Head and Shoulders


Flannel Board Song: Five Little Pumpkins
I sometimes find silence unnerving during story time, but I realized about halfway through this song that they were silent because they were engaged and interested in the song. That is such a great feeling!


Song: One Little Finger 

Song: Tommy Thumb

Book: Here Are My Hands by Bill Martin, Jr. (1989)
I have apparently never done this book at story time in our new location, which means it's going on a year since the last time I did it! That is appalling. This is a great story time book, and it's going right back into my repertoire!  

Book: Old MacDonald by Rosemary Wells (1998)
I thought doing this with a book would be a neat change of pace, but it actually kind of bombed. I think the book was too small. And I also don't think my audiences actually like this song. Oops.

Song: The Wheels on the Bus (Raffi)

Song: Chickadee
I keep saying I'm retiring this song, but there are two nannies who come on Fridays who love it, so I keep playing it when they're here. Also, I was running short today, and needed one more song to make it 20 minutes.

Goodbye Song: We Wave Goodbye Like This
No more story time for me until Wednesday. That sounds relaxing, but I also know I will kind of miss it.  Still, it will be nice to have a two-day weekend instead of one day. Happy Friday!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...