Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tales for Fours and Fives, 7/7

Only 5 kids today! I guess there isn't as high a demand for this age group as I expected. But it was a nice, calm session. I wish I could learn to talk more to the kids, but it doesn't happen naturally for me, and I get nervous when I try to force it. Oddly enough, I'm more comfortable when the crowd is bigger!

Opening Song: Hello, how are you?

Book: Best Friends for Frances by Russell Hoban, pictures by Lillian Hoban (1969)
This book is so long. And there is so much dialogue. I love it, and one little girl in the front row loved it, but it was really not a good choice for a read-aloud. I still love the story, though, just as I did as a child!

Song: The Wheels on the Bus

Book: Never Take a Shark to the Dentist: and other things not do by Judi Barrett, illustrated by John Nickle (2008)
This small, shy group didn't want to talk much, so I wound up pointing out the reasons why you should never take a shark to the dentist, give a moose a hat, or sit near a porcupine on the subway. One family loved it enough to check it out, but I'll want to read it again at a Family Story Time sometime - it's a good one for a mixed age group, I think. It definitely made the adults laugh, if not the kids!

Song: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes (in English and Italian)
I found an old, yellowing cassette tape in a pile of stuff that came with us here from the interim library, and on it, there was an Italian version of Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes. The music and movements are the same, so we did about four rounds of that - the tape played the song about 8 times, but I cut it short because it was getting old.

Book: Seven Blind Mice by Ed Young (1995)
I love the illustrations in this book. I'm not sure if it was a spoiler to announce from the start of the book that mice were dealing with an elephant,  but a little girl did, and it didn't seem to matter. The colors alone draw everyone's eyes into this book, and though I'm not sure they understood the moral, the kids seem to like the resolution of the story. 

Song: Chickadee
One little boy absolutely loved flapping his arms to this song. It was worth singing just to see that!

Song: Skinnamarink

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...