Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Very Talented Eric Carle Drop-In Story Time, 2/19/13

 The Very Talented Eric Carle Drop-In Story Time, 2/19/13
 
I have never tried dedicating a week of story times to one particular author or illustrator, but I thought it would be interesting to try with Eric Carle, whose books have such wide appeal, and whose writing has a variety of levels. Today, I focused on his books that deal with colors.

Book: The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse by Eric Carle
Some of the adults got really into this one, and the polka dotted donkey brought down the house for everyone.

Flannel Board Song: The Artist's Crayons
This was the perfect activity for the preschoolers who came to story time today. They knew all the colors and shouted them right out!

Book: The Mixed-Up Chameleon by Eric Carle
This book starts out with a few longer pages of text which immediately made the adults lose interest. I got them back when things really started moving along, and the book got a lot of applause at the end.

Song: Stars Shining Bright
I used foam stars to hold up and the kids called out the colors for me.

Book: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin, Jr., illustrated by Eric Carle
The adults all joined in with me, so we were one chorus. I think everyone enjoyed this one the most!

Letter of the Day: D
  • Rhyme: Dance Your Fingers
  • Rhyme: Little Duck
    Action rhymes are very hit or miss with these large groups, but every now and then I try a new one. This is a definite keeper!
  • Song with Ukulele: Stomp Like a Dinosaur (based on Fly Like a Butterfly)
    They loved this as well. I'll be adding it to the regular rotation of favorite songs!
Songs with Ukulele: ABCs/ Twinkle Twinkle Little Star / Baa Baa Black Sheep

Song: Sing a Happy Song

Song: The Wheels on the Bus

Song: If You're Happy and You Know It 

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...