Saturday, October 6, 2012

Baby Lap Time, 10/4/12

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here

It's hard to believe we have already been offering lap times at my branch for a year. They have become so popular, this time around we actually divided them into two groups - Toddler Lap Time for walkers and Baby Lap Time for non-walkers. I'm alternating weeks between the two groups, but this week it was my turn to be with the babies. I will miss the continuity of being with them every week, but I'm looking forward to also having a turn with the toddlers, many of whom were in my first lap time group last year.

I introduced a new hello song for this session, to the tune of London Bridge, where we sing hello to our toes, knees, tummy, hands, head, and then to all of our friends. The words are posted on the hello and goodbye song page along with all the others.

This session had a theme - Up and Down - which I forgot to actually announce to the group, but I doubt anyone noticed. Almost everyone is new to lap time at our library, so it was a very awkward start for me, as I could feel them sort of looking at me, sizing me up and wondering if what I'm doing is legitimate or just foolishness. I did a great job, but for  the first time ever, no one clapped or said thank you when I finished  the session. Such a weird feeling.

Anyway, here are my baby lap time activities for Up and Down. 

Rhyme: Cheek Chin 

Rhyme: Dance Your Fingers

Song with Puppet: Mr. Sun

Book: The Bridge is Up by Babs Bell

This is the perfect audience for this book. Lots of repetition and a very simple plot.   

Rhyme with Puppet: Hey Diddle Diddle

Song: Itsy Bitsy Spider

Song: Tony Chestnut

Song: Head and Shoulders 

Book: Subway by Anastasia Suen, illustrated by Karen Katz
Another with one with repetition, and bright colorful pictures. It also has a good rhythm. I mentioned these things to the parents, who stared at me blankly. 

Song: Bumpin' Up and Down in My Little Red Wagon 

Song with Puppets: I'm a Little Monkey

Songs: ABCs / Twinkle Twinkle Little Star / Baa Baa Black Sheep

Book: All Fall Down by Helen Oxenbury

Song: This is the Way We Clap Our Hands

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...