Friday, February 28, 2014

Flannel Friday: There Was an Old Man with a Beard

I have a slight obsession with Babybug magazine. I don't have a subscription, but my local library allows back issues to be checked out, so I have borrowed a few here and there. On the last page of the March  2013 issue, I found "Nonsense Rhyme" (also called "There Was an Old Man with a Beard") by Edward Lear. I had heard the rhyme before, but the illustration in the magazine by Ruth Tietjen Councell made me think it might work as a flannel board. Thus, the following adaptation was born.

There was an old man with a beard,
Who said, "It is just as I feared!
Two owls

and a hen,
four larks
and a wren
have all built their nests in my beard!"

This flannel board would be a fun addition to a bird-themed or hair-themed story time, or even to a Father's Day or Grandparent's Day program. 

Flannel Friday is hosted this week by Jenna from Stories with Ms. Jenna. For more on Flannel Friday, visit the official website.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...