Thursday, December 15, 2011

Holiday Preschool/School-Age Story Time, 12/15

This is my last story time until the New Year. But fear not - I'll be posting some other things in the time in between, including a Flannel Friday tomorrow.

The average of today's audience was between 5 and 6 years old. There were roughly 15 kids in attendance.

Opening Song: Hello, how are you?
Okay, older kids hate to sing. At least at this library. And particularly when the songs are somewhat babyish like this one. I have to spend my next two weeks off from story time figuring out a new opening for my school-age story times.

Book: The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore, retold and illustrated by Rachel Isadora (2009)
I like this African take on the famous poem, and the kids did, too. Rachel Isadora is such a great illustrator.

Rhyme: Rudolph, Rudolph
Stay tuned... this will be my Flannel Friday tomorrow!

Song: Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Book: I'm Not Santa! by Jonathan Allen (2008)
This book is cute, but ruined by the super-sappy ending. My group was not impressed.

Book: Eight Winter Nights by Laura Krauss Melmed, Elisabeth Schlossberg (2010)
This is more of a poetry collection than a story, and though the kids seemed to like it, they didn't really react very strongly when it was done.

Rhyme: Spin Little Dreidels
Not the hit it was this morning, but still fun. 

Song: Let's All Do a Little Clapping
Definitely not a hit. These kids didn't want to sing.

Book: Jingle Bells by Iza Trapani (2005)
Except they did want to sing this one. Especially the threes and fours.

Song: Five Little Snowmen Riding on a Sled 
Probably the hit of the session. 

Goodbye Song: We Wave Goodbye Like This

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...