Monday, June 6, 2011

Family Story Time, 6/6

Today was a hectic day, and this story time was not a great success, but here it is anyway.


Opening Song: If You're Happy and You Know It

Song: Seven Continents on our Globe
This song is not becoming the hit I had hoped it would be. I'm debating whether to continue using it. It goes on too long, there are no hand motions, and no one sings along with me!



Book: Madlenka by Peter Sis (2000)
This is a good book, but it really did not make a good  read-aloud. It's a great book for the summer theme, though! Madlenka goes all around her neighborhood to show her friends that her tooth is loose. Each neighbor is from a different country and greets her in a foreign language. The greetings are a bit difficult to pronounce, and there is no pronunciation guide, and the illustrations have so many tiny details, it would be better to read one-on-one. I still love it, though, and recommend it to preschool and elementary school kids.


Book: My Granny Went to Market by Stella Blackstone, illustrated by Christopher Corr (2006)
I thought a rhyming counting book would be a hit, but this group was not into it. I tried to get them to count with me, but no such luck. Still, Granny's adventures with her flying carpet, and the many things she buys - nesting dolls, llamas, kites, and more - are a lot of fun, and the bright colored illustrations with the cheerful yellow backgrounds brightened an otherwise humdrum story time.

Song: One, Two, I Love You (Numbers Are Our Friends)

Song: Where is Thumbkin?

Song: ABCD Medley by The Laurie Berkner Band (from Whaddaya Think of That?)

 Book: When I First Came to this Land, retold by Harriet Ziefert, illustrated by Simms Taback
I envisioned reading this cumulative story to a spirited audience that would perform the silly hand gestures and actions I came up with to go with it. But no matter how many times I tried to make a muscle for "muscle in my arm" or point to myself for "I'm the boss." I know the tune for the original song - maybe I would have had better luck if I'd sung it. Either way, the ending gave me a nice warm feeling as the story came full circle.

Song: The Wheels on the Bus

Goodbye Song: Skinnamarink

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...