Friday, June 28, 2013

My Community: Drop-In Story Time, 6/28/13

My Community: Drop-In Story Time, 6/28/13

Flannel Board Song: Who are the People in your Neighborhood?

Book: Clothesline Clues to Jobs People Do by Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook
I think this book works whether kids can guess or not, and in a way, it seems to follow the same concept as the magic envelope - using clues to add up to a bigger picture. I like the way the illustrations tell a secondary story, where the mail carrier delivers an invitation to each community helper, and in the end, they have a party to celebrate the astronaut's launch into space.

Song: The Wheels on the Bus
When in doubt, sing The Wheels on the Bus and end with a verse that shushes grown-ups.

Book: Look What I See! Where Can I Be? In the Neighborhood by Dia L. Michels
I have always loved this book, and I think some of the kids enjoyed it, though the room was somewhat chaotic and it was hard to tell. 

Song: Bumpin’ Up and Down in My Little Red Wagon

Magic Envelope: Firetruck
I forgot to sing hello to the magic envelope, and I actually think that might have worked out for the better. I felt like  the adults paid better attention without the song, but that could have been for any number of reasons, I suppose. In any case, the kids seemed interested in what was happening, and they were pleased when the firetruck emerged. 

Song: Hurry Hurry Drive the Firetruck
I asked all the kids to help me drive the firetruck and they did a great job singing and moving along with me.

Songs with Ukulele: ABCs / Twinkle Twinkle Little Star / Baa Baa Black Sheep

Song with Puppet: Mr. Sun

Song: Hands Up High

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...