Thursday, September 12, 2013

Road Trip! Preschool Story Time, 9/6/13

 Road Trip! Preschool Story Time, 9/6/13

Two brothers, ages five and two, were the only kids at this story time (possibly because of the absolutely beautiful weather), but we still had fun! 

Book: Round Trip by Ann Jonas
I wouldn't use this book with a big group of preschoolers, but since there were only two kids, I gave it a try. The neat thing is that the first half of the story - the ride to the destination - is told going in one direction, then you have to turn the book over  to go back home again. I wouldn't say the kids loved it, and their mom looked at me like I was nuts, but I don't regret trying it out. I'd also consider trying it again with an elementary audience. 

Book: The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant
This much more straightforward book went over much better, though it is still pretty quiet and the kids didn't have much of a reaction to it.

Book: In the Driver's Seat by Max Haynes
This book was a big hit! I asked the older brother to act it out with me, and he did a great job turning his pretend steering wheel and making engine sounds.

White Board Story: The Bus for Gus (based on The Bus for Us by Suzanne Bloom)
I drew a little roadway scene on the dry erase wall, and put up vehicles one at a time, asking whether they were a bus for Gus. It would have been more fun with more kids, but these guys still enjoyed it.

Book: Let’s Go For a Drive by Mo Willems
Another huge hit. This was the best book of the entire story time, and I think part of that was because I got really into my performance.

Coloring Page: Along the Street
It turned out the boys' street had just been paved on Friday morning  so that inspired their coloring. The older brother drew a street covered in blacktop, then left just a little brown spot to show where the old road had been. Love it.

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...