Thursday, May 9, 2013

Concepts: Shapes Toddler Lap Time, 5/9/13

 Concepts: Shapes Toddler Lap Time, 5/9/13

Book: Perfect Square by Michael Hall
This theme, overall, was not great for toddlers, and I won't be using any of the same material for the second session tomorrow, but this book, of everything, was the best received. I'm not sure the kids understood it fully, but they were drawn to the illustrations and sat quietly watching me as I read.

Flannel Board: Triangle Tricksters
This flannel board wasn't a huge hit this time, but I was also missing one of the yellow triangles, which made it a bit awkward to rearrange.

Book: What is Round? by Rebecca Kai Dotlich
The kids liked the illustrations in this one, but the book asked for too much audience participation on the last page, and even when I just found  the round things in the final picture myself, the whole vibe just felt awkward.

Song: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
I showed the group the yellow star shape, then we sang this song with our usual hand motions.

Book: Shape by Shape by Suse MacDonald
This was the most toddler-friendly of the three books, and they seemed to like it. If the shapes theme hadn't otherwise been such a failure, I'd keep this one for tomorrow. 

Activities with Foam Hearts: 
  • Song: H-E-A-R-T (based on Bingo)
  • Rhyme: Hearts Up, Hearts Down
    I wrote this simple action rhyme, and all the kids were really into it! I'll be using it with my other foam shapes in the coming weeks.
  • Song: There’s a Heart Upon My Head...
Song: Hands Up High

Song: Head and Shoulders

Song: Chickadee

Rhyme: This is Big, Big, Big

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...