Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Concepts: Colors Drop-In Story Time, 5/7/13


Concepts: Colors Drop-In Story Time, 5/7/13

This week, to prevent myself from getting bored, I'm doing a whole variety of story times, each one on a different preschool concept. This morning, we talked about colors.

Book: A Color of His Own by Leo Lionni
I knew the group would be small today because our little guys don't venture out in the rain very much, and I also suspected there might be some preschoolers in attendance, so I brought in a longer book. The real young ones weren't into it, but a few of the older kids did seem to like having a story with a bit more of a plot.

Rhyme: Blue is the Lake 

Book: Freight Train by Donald Crews
This book never fails! And it was a great lead-in to our next song.

Song with ukulele: Little Red Caboose
As I did previously in my transportation-themed story time in January, I sang this one three times - regular speed, really slow, and then really fast. This time, I asked everyone to clap with me, which made the experience that much more fun, especially when we sang it really quickly!

Book: Spot the Animals by the American Museum of Natural History
I think this would have gone over better with a smaller group, though some of these kids were into it. The snake was the favorite!

Letter of  the Day: V
  • Flannel Board Song: Drive Drive Drive Your Vehicle
    I put a car, a truck, and then a bus on the flannel board and we pretended to drive each one. 
  • Song with Stick Puppet: I’m a Veterinarian
    I always have good luck singing songs with simple stick puppets, so I cut out a clipart image of a veterinarian, colored her in, and used this simple song from Preschool Education, cutting out the second verse, which I didn't like.
  • Flannel Board Song: Vincent Wore His ____ Vest
    Piggyback songs on Mary Wore Her Red Dress are kind of a staple of my story times at this point, but the process for this one got a little more involved than I expected. I will share the entire thing in a future Flannel Friday post.
Songs with ukulele: ABCs / Twinkle Twinkle Little Star / Baa Baa Black Sheep

Song with ukulele: Itsy Bitsy Spider

Song with Puppet:
Mr. Sun

Song: Monkeys on the Bed

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...