Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Drop-In Story Time, 11/13/12

I'm starting to like themes, but only ones like this where there is so much great material. We had a rainy morning, so attendance was about 50% of normal, and I got through four books and tons of songs with no interruptions at all. I might save some of this stuff for next week when I got the rec. center. 

Book: Just a Little Bit by Ann Tompert, illustrated by Lynn Munsinger
I wanted to make this into a flannel board, but couldn't get the animals big enough to be seen and also simultaneously small enough to fit onto the seesaw I made. I'm working on it, though. 

Flannel Board Song: One Elephant Went Out To Play

Book: Peanut Butter and Jelly by Nadine Bernard Westcott
 I read this as written, but in the future I think I'll sing the refrain I grew up with: "Peanut, peanut butter and jelly."

Song: If You're an Elephant... (Tune: If You're Happy and You Know It)
...flap your ears
...stomp your feet
...swish your tail
...wave your trunk
...say, Aroo!
Book: My Elephant by Petr Horacek
This was a hit with the parents and the threes, all of whom laughed when I asked who had an elephant at home. 

Rhyme with Puppet: I Asked My Mother for Fifty Cents 

Book: Sitting in my Box by Dee Lillegard, illustrated by Jon Agee
This book is just not very good. I tried it once last year and it flopped, and it was okay today, but still not a hit.

Song: Shake My Sillies Out 

Letter of the Day: Letter M
(I opted not to cut the letter out of felt. I just wrote it on the board.)
 Songs with ukulele: ABCs/Twinkle Twinkle Little Star / Baa Baa Black Sheep

Song: Clap, Stomp, Wiggle
This one was fun - I could also use with my pre-K and K groups.

Song: Rum Sum Sum 

Song: Tommy Thumb

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...