Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Preschool Story Time - Fantasy Theme (@ another branch)

When I heard I was going to do story time at an unfamiliar location, I knew immediately that it was time to resurrect my most successful preschool story time - the fantasy-themed one from November 7. This turned out to be a wise decision, and I actually think the second time around was better than the original! Here's what it looked like today:

Opening Song: Hello, how are you? 


Song: If You'd Like to Read a Book

Book: Princess Hyacinth: The Surprising Tale of a Girl Who Floated by Florence Parry Heide, illustrated by Lane Smith (2009)
Planning to read this book was a bit of a risk because it's pretty long, and I had no idea whether the kids would be up for it. As it turned out, the group was just the right age for this story, and they absolutely loved it. There are a lot of books I love to read aloud, but I really think I might love this one the most. 

Rhyme: Fierce is the Dragon 
The kids got so into this. It makes me so happy when they enjoy something I wrote.

Song: Where is Thumbkin? (Royal Family Edition)

Book: King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood and Don Wood (1985)
I will never get tired of this book. I love the king's mischievous face, and the playful tone I hear in his voice every time he says, "Come in!"

Song: There is Clapping in the Castle
This song is a lot easier to do a cappella than I realized. I love it!

Flannel Board Song: Royal Crowns (Based on Grandpa's Ties)
This branch has a big black flannel board, which was so perfect for this song. Had I thought of it soon enough, this would have been a great opportunity to let the kids put pieces on the flannel board. If I ever do this again, I'll remember that!

Book: May I Bring a Friend? by Beatrice Schenk de Regniers, illustrated by Beni Montresor (1966)
I am really retiring this one now, I swear. I just couldn't resist.

Flannel Board Song: Five Little Fairies
This is a fantastic song for winding down at the end of story time - and these kids loved fairies!

Goodbye Song: We Wave Goodbye Like This

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...