Tuesday, April 3, 2012

After School Craft (sans Read Aloud), 3/29/12

Last week's after school program attracted so few kids that I skipped the read-aloud part. I know that sounds terrible, but the two kids who came on time for the activity did their craft and left immediately thereafter, so by the time it was time to read, there was no one to read to. So we just did the craft, and about an hour later I saw a number of moms and nannies choose books from my display to either share in the library or take home with them. So all was not lost.

The Craft: Beaded Pipe Cleaner Bracelets

I. Supplies:
  • Pony beads
  • Colored pipe cleaner

II. Prep
No preparation required - my favorite kind of craft! I set the beads out in bowls and provided a pile of pipe cleaners. The kids did the rest.

III. Process
One child took a set of beads and a pipe cleaner home for himself and his sister. He was careful to pick out lots of pinks and purples because those were his and his sister's favorite colors. The other two girls who came didn't seem to have a method for beading, but one strung a bunch of pipe cleaners together to make a huge necklace.

The Display: Books About Things You Wear

 (There were more titles on this list, but it's been five days and I don't remember them now!)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...