Thursday, December 15, 2011

Baby/Toddler Holiday Story Time, 12/15

Opening Song: Hello, how are you?


Book: The Eight Nights of Chanukah by Leslea Newman, illustrated by Elivia Savadier (2005)
This book provides its own great interactive opportunity by starting each verse with "I clap my hands to see..." My group got really into the clapping, even if the story wasn't of great interest.

Flannel Board Rhyme: One Menorah Candle
This was a lot of fun! I'll definitely keep it for next year. 

Action Rhyme: Spin Little Dreidels
Thanks to @librarylady61 on Twitter for providing me with this very successful rhyme. This was the hit of the story time!

Song: I'm a Little Teapot

Song: Let's All Do a Little Clapping

Book: My First Kwanzaa by Karen Katz (2003)
I think I'll skip Kwanzaa next year - the entire group talked through this story and it was clear it held no appeal for them.

Book: Christmas Tree! by Florence Minor and Wendell Minor (2005)
Love this one! I brought most of the attention back by switching immediately to Christmas, which, it became clear, was what everyone was looking for.

Flannel Board Song: Five Little Presents
This was a great success which made me very happy. A little more complicated than what I'd like to do all the time, but just perfect for the holidays.

Book: Let There Be Peace on Earth by Jill Jackson, illustrated by David Diaz
This is a pretty book, and there is very little text, but somehow it didn't keep the attention of my group. But it's tough to do more than two books with them - I pushed it today!

Song: We Wish You...
We sang We Wish You a Merry Christmas, but changed the words so that Hanukkah and Kwanzaa were included.

Goodbye Song: We Wave Goodbye Like This

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...