Monday, June 13, 2011

Family Story Time, 6/13

Oh, Monday story time. It never fails to perplex and frustrate! This week I had a good-sized audience, but very little participation. Again. I even increased the number of books, thinking maybe they'd prefer stories over songs, but that didn't seem to make any difference either. So... we press on. But here's what we tried out for today: 

Song: ABCD Medley by The Laurie Berkner Band (from Whaddaya Think of That?)

 Book: Daddy Makes the Best Spaghetti by Anna Grossnickle Hines (1986)
This was one of my favorite books to read to the preschool kids I worked with when I was in college. Corey is the only child in a family with two working parents, but when he goes home from daycare, he and his dad make spaghetti together, and then Mom and Dad both tuck him into bed. I love little slice of life stories like this, which affirm the love of a child's parents. And I love Anna Grossnickle Hines!


Song: Daddy's Ties
I forgot how hard this tune ("Mary Wore Her Red Dress") is to sing! I started too low and sounded like I was grumbling. I'll do better tomorrow.


Book: Mitchell's License by Hallie Durand, illustrated by Tony Fucile (2011)
I feel like this story went on a tad too long, overusing its one punchline, but the premise is great. Mitchell hates going to bed, so his dad gives him a license to drive himself to bed each night. With Dad serving as his car, Mitchell honks the horn (dad's nose), uses blinkers (a flashlight), and  has a collision (with Mom!) The Dad-as-car concept was a difficult one for the smaller kids to catch onto, but the preschoolers definitely enjoyed the humor.

Song: The Wheels on the Bus

Book: We're Going on a Lion Hunt by David Axtell (1999)
This is very similar to Michael Rosen's We're Going on a Bear Hunt but with a different setting, and an African-American cast. The kids enjoyed the various sounds of the different obstacles encountered on the hunt, but I think we scared a couple of the little ones with the lion.

Song: Monkeys on the Bed

Book: Anansi the Spider by Gerald McDermott (1972)
This is a book I remembered from my own childhood. I love the story, but really makes it is the bright color scheme in the illustrations. I also love the way the spider children come together to save their father - I'd forgotten anything beyond the vaguest gist of the story, and enjoyed revisiting it!


Song: Moon Moon Moon by The Laurie Berkner Band (from Victor Vito)

Goodbye Song: Skinnamarink

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...