Saturday, June 9, 2012

Pre-K Class Visit, 6/6/12

Opening Song: Hello, how are you?
Book: Stars by Mary Lyn Ray, illustrated by Marla Frazee (2011)
I took a chance starting with this quiet, poetic book about stars, and it really paid off. The kids got really into it, and they loved the two-page spread toward the end of the book showing a sky full of fireworks. To keep them interested when the story was done, I asked them a question related to stars and wishing.

Discussion: If you could wish upon a star, what would you wish for?
One girl said a dog, and one said a cat. Three girls said diamonds.  One said trampoline. One little boy said he wouldn't wish for anything. Then came the off-the-wall answers I loved most:
"A ninja!"
"A big red gem, and when you open it up, it has a medium gem, and a small gem, and a large gem!"
"Snowflakes that turn into throwing stars!"

I love the four-year-old mind.
Book: Please Try to Remember the First of Octember by Dr. Seuss, illustrated by Art Cumings (1977)
I segued from the discussion to this book by telling them they were about to hear about a silly day when all wishes come true. I asked them to tell me which silly author they thought wrote the book, and they all answered correctly in one voice. A couple of them seemed appalled that someone would make up a fake month, but the rest of the group had a good laugh.  

Song: Moon Moon Moon  by the Laurie Berkner Band

Book: Princess Hyacinth: The Surprising Tale of a Girl Who Floated by Florence Parry Heide, illustrated by Lane Smith (2009)
This is my favorite read-aloud of all time. I  never get tired of reading it, and the tone is pitch-perfect. It's also the only princess book I know that boys love as much as girls.

Song: These Are My Glasses by Laurie Berkner Band

Goodbye Song: We Wave Goodbye Like This

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...