Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Baby/Toddler Story Time, 5/15/12

Opening Song: Hello, how are you? 

Rhyme: Wiggle Fingers 

Book: Monster Musical Chairs by Stuart J. Murphy (2000)
This is a beginner's book about the concept of subtraction, but it turns out also to be a rhythmic, repetitive, and highly appealing story time book for toddlers. I doubt the kids understood what they were being taught, but they definitely understand monsters!

Song: One Little Monster
I love hearing little kids pretend to roar.

Song: Head and Shoulders 

Book: Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha, illustrated by Dan Yaccarino (1999)
This book has a great refrain, and it also focuses on a subject that many kids at my library currently love - garbage trucks!  Each time the text asked if the truck was full yet, I shook my head to cue the adults to say "no" along with me, and that was a great way to get them involved.

Song: Tommy Thumb
There was one dad at this story time who seemed completely shocked - in an amused away, not an angry one - that I would hold up two middle fingers and dance them around. 

Song: I'm a Little Teapot

Book: Faster! Faster!  by Leslie Patricelli (2012)
I went back and forth about whether to read this one, since there are so few words, and many of them are the same word over and over again. But I went with it anyway, and what a great choice it wound up being! One family even checked the book out at the end of story time, which is a rarity with this crowd. I think what made it work was that I named the animals and gave some verbal cues about what was happening in the pictures. By the end, all the adults were saying, "Faster! Faster!" right along with me.

Rhyme: This is Big, Big, Big

Song: Chickadee

Song: ABC Song

Goodbye Song: We Wave Goodbye Like This

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...