Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Baby/Toddler Story Time, 5/15/12

Opening Song: Hello, how are you? 

Rhyme: Wiggle Fingers 

Book: Monster Musical Chairs by Stuart J. Murphy (2000)
This is a beginner's book about the concept of subtraction, but it turns out also to be a rhythmic, repetitive, and highly appealing story time book for toddlers. I doubt the kids understood what they were being taught, but they definitely understand monsters!

Song: One Little Monster
I love hearing little kids pretend to roar.

Song: Head and Shoulders 

Book: Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha, illustrated by Dan Yaccarino (1999)
This book has a great refrain, and it also focuses on a subject that many kids at my library currently love - garbage trucks!  Each time the text asked if the truck was full yet, I shook my head to cue the adults to say "no" along with me, and that was a great way to get them involved.

Song: Tommy Thumb
There was one dad at this story time who seemed completely shocked - in an amused away, not an angry one - that I would hold up two middle fingers and dance them around. 

Song: I'm a Little Teapot

Book: Faster! Faster!  by Leslie Patricelli (2012)
I went back and forth about whether to read this one, since there are so few words, and many of them are the same word over and over again. But I went with it anyway, and what a great choice it wound up being! One family even checked the book out at the end of story time, which is a rarity with this crowd. I think what made it work was that I named the animals and gave some verbal cues about what was happening in the pictures. By the end, all the adults were saying, "Faster! Faster!" right along with me.

Rhyme: This is Big, Big, Big

Song: Chickadee

Song: ABC Song

Goodbye Song: We Wave Goodbye Like This

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. Your comment will appear after it has been approved. Due to spam, anonymous comments are no longer accepted. Thanks for your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...