Friday, June 24, 2011

Tales for Twos and Threes, 6/24

Opening Song: Hello, how are you?

Book: Bee-Bim-Bop by Linda Sue Park, illustrated by Ho Baek Lee (2005)

Song: One, Two, Three Climb Up the Mountain (in Chinese, from Chinese and English Nursery Rhymes by Faye-Lynn Wu, illustrations by Kieren Dutcher (2010))
This is a simple counting rhyme that children in China use to learn their numbers. There are also particular hand gestures accompanying each number, which we attempted to do.  (I did not sing the Chinese along with the CD,  but it is now stuck in my head anyway. This song is really catchy!)

Song: One, Two, I Love You (Numbers Are Our Friends)

Song: Little Stars (in Chinese, from Chinese and English Nursery Rhymes by Faye-Lynn Wu, illustrations by Kieren Dutcher (2010))
Same tune as Twinkle, Twinkle, but the lyrics are in Chinese, and their meaning is slightly different.

Song: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star (in English, from from Chinese and English Nursery Rhymes by Faye-Lynn Wu, illustrations by Kieren Dutcher (2010))

Book: Has Anyone Seen my Emily Greene? by Norma Fox Mazer, illustrated by Christine Davenier (2007)
I remembered really liking this rhyming book when it was published. Dad has lunch ready, but Emily is nowhere to be found. She keeps on sneaking up behind her dad, but he never sees her - until, finally, she enters the room with a loud roar. This book reminds me a little bit of Noisy Nora, but the writing wasn't quite as polished. The heartwarming ending of the book lays it on pretty thick, and goes on just a bit too long. The parents really liked it, though - and the kids thought it was ridiculous and funny that Dad never once realized Emily was right behind him.

Song: Boots

Book: Joseph Had a Little Overcoat by Simms Taback (1999)
I have always loved this story, about a man who uses and re-uses the same cloth from his old and worn overcoat, until he can't use it anymore, and then writes a story to tell us about it, thus making something from nothing. It was a perfect short book after the first two longer ones. Also, I really want to learn the song in the back of the book - not for story time, necessarily, just for me!

Song: Chickadee
This is the new favorite, and of course it's the one song I use in story time that isn't available on CD through the library. Oops!

Closing Song: Skinnamarink

I currently have no clock in my story time room. I propped one up in what I thought was my line of sight, but it slipped, and I couldn't see the big hand once it ticked past the two. So I think I shortchanged this group a little bit. But we had a good time anyway.

1 comment :

  1. Good job as always!

    Michelle M. http://litchatkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...