There are a lot more picture books about alligators and crocodiles than you might expect. This post highlights ten. (Not sure of the difference between gators and crocs? Click here for an explanation.)
- Alligators All Around by Maurice Sendak
This classic book from the Nutshell Library is one of the most fun and kid-friendly alphabet books available. Follow the alligators as they do dishes, make macaroni, and never nap.
- There’s an Alligator Under My Bed by Mercer Mayer
When a young boy suspects there is an alligator under his bed, he takes many extra precautions at bedtime.
- Hooray for Amanda and Her Alligator by Mo Willems
In a series of six short illustrated stories, Amanda and her stuffed alligator exchange surprises, read books, and welcome a new friend.
- The Lady with the Alligator Purse by Nadine Bernard Westcott
When the baby drinks up the bathwater, it is the lady with the alligator purse, not the nurse or doctor, who has just the right cure.
- Snip Snap What’s That? by Mara Bergman, illustrated by Nick Maland
Who is making that snip, snap sound? The kids are scared, but they still want to find out!
- The House on East 88th Street by Bernard Waber
The Primm family of East 88th Street have a very unusual pet living in their bathtub - Lyle the crocodile!
- Open Very Carefully by Nick Bromley, illustrated by Nicola O'Byrne
It's hard to read any story when a crocodile has found its way into your book! Read this "book with bite" at your own risk!
- The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli
When a crocodile swallows a watermelon seed, he begins to wonder what might happen to him. (This book was the 2014 Geisel Award Winner!)
- Cornelius by Leo Lionni
Unlike other crocodiles, Cornelius walks on two legs and performs silly tricks.
- What Time Is It, Mr. Crocodile? by Judy Sierra, illustrated by Doug Cushman
Try as he might, Mr. Crocodile just can't catch the five pesky monkeys, but before the day is over, he will learn a lesson or two from them!