Having trouble finding books to suit a St. Patrick's Day themed story time? Think outside the box and try one of these related themes instead.
Many Irish legends talk about looking for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, so rainbows are a perfect St. Patrick's Day topic! A rainbow theme can incorporate almost anything having to do with colors, so every children's librarian can use this theme, regardless of location or collection size.
- A Rainbow of My Own by Don Freeman
- Rain by Robert Kalan and Donald Crews
- Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert
- Song: I Can Sing a Rainbow
- Action Song/Rhyme: Rainbow Over the Waterfall
- Flannel Board Song: Harold's Other Crayons
Orange, White, & Green
Orange, white, and green are the colors on the Irish flag. Using this theme, you can add a little Irish flavor to what is essentially just a color-themed story time with a specific focus.
- Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
- It Looked Like Spilt Milk by Charles G. Shaw
- Orange Pear Apple Bear by Emily Gravett
- Flannel Board Sorting Song: Orange, White, and Green
- Flannel Board: King of Green
- Flannel Board/Fingerplay: Five Little Pumpkins Round
- Song with Puppet: I'm a Little Green Frog
- Nursery Rhyme: Mary Had a Little Lamb
Irish folklore is filled with leprechauns, fairies, unicorns, and other mythical beings. Connect your story time to Ireland by focusing on these fantastical creatures.
- Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great by Bob Shea
- Where the Giant Sleeps by Mem Fox
- Alice the Fairy by David Shannon
- Action Song/Rhyme: Flap Little Fairies
- Fingerplay: This Little Leprechaun
- Flannel Board Song: Five Little Fairies
- Flannel Board Rhyme: I Saw Five Little Unicorns
Enjoy the luck of the Irish at story time with a focus on good luck!
- My Lucky Little Dragon by Joyce Wan
- Good Luck Bear by Greg Foley
- A Good Day by Kevin Henkes
- Lucky Tucker by Leslie McGuirk