As we enter a new year next week, enjoy these calendar-themed picture books.
- Snowy Flowy Blowy by Nancy Tafuri
In this baby-friendly book, Nancy Tafuri assigns one word to each month which evokes the weather conditions at that time of year.
- Chicken Soup with Rice by Maurice Sendak
In this rhyming classic, Sendak takes us through the year, sipping soup all the way.
- A Year of Beasts by Ashley Wolff
Follow the animals through the calendar in this boldly illustrated book.
- A Child’s Calendar by John Updike, illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman
A collection of poems for children - one per month.
- Calendar by Myra Cohn Livingston, illustrated by Will Hillenbrand
Simple sentences make up this poem celebrating the passing seasons.
- A Year with Friends by John Seven, illustrated by Jana Christy
A boy, girl, cat, and dog do different activities in celebration of each month's special events.
- One Lighthouse, One Moon by Anita Lobel
In separate sections, this book teaches days of the week, months of the year, the four seasons, and the colors of the rainbow.
- How Do You Say It Today, Jesse Bear? by Nancy White Carlstrom, illustrated by Bruce Degen
Jesse Bear spreads seasonally appropriate good wishes to his friends and family as he celebrates each month of the year.
- Long Night Moon by Cynthia Rylant, illustrated by Mark Siegel
This book teaches young readers the name given to the full moon in each of the twelve months.
- Around the Year by Tasha Tudor
This vintage picture book highlights the special characteristics of each month in simple text and classic illustrations.
Story time plans which complement these books can be found at the following links: