One of the best things about the holiday season is baking cookies. Enjoy these fun literacy activities while you wait for the timer to go off on your next batch.
In the Kitchen
- Write fortunes, them bake them into fortune cookies. (Nick Jr. has a recipe.)
- Use alphabet cookie cutters to turn sugar cookies into initials, names, or other words.
- Follow a recipe to bake your favorite cookies.
For the Flannel Board
- Retell The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins.
- Count out Cookies in a Dish.
- Share a cookie-themed version of Down Around the Corner as seen on Mel's Desk and here on my blog.
- Read Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar?, a non-fiction picture book about the many community helpers involved in the process of baking cookies from scratch.
- Read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie then use this printable from Live Love Laugh to retell the story. (I did something similar with If You Give a Pig a Pancake at a beginning reader story time last year.)
Songs & Rhymes
- Sing C is for Cookie.
- Act out "Great Big Cookie" from Sylvan Lake Municipal Library.
- Act out "I Am Making Cookie Dough" from Sunflower Storytime
- Play Who Stole the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?