Friday, May 3, 2013

Builders and Diggers Toddler Lap Time, 5/3/13

 
Builders and Diggers Toddler Lap Time, 5/3/13

Book: The Construction Crew by Lynn Meltzer
I was right - moving this to the earliest spot in the story time got a much better response. This was a wild group,  but they mostly sat for this book.

Flannel Board: Down Around the Corner at the Hardware Store
Counting works with toddlers. They don't typically know how to count, but they love to listen to adults do it.

Book: Old MacDonald Had a Woodshop by Lisa Shulman
I didn't remember this book in time for yesterday's story time, but when I found it when I was preparing for preschool story time last night, I knew it would work perfectly with this group. Since they were so restless, having a singable picture book on hand was a godsend!

Song: Construction Worker Song
This group was more interested in this song than yesterday's group, but they were a bit younger and not as able to do the motions. (I bet some of them will go home and do them tonight, though!)

Book: Truckery Rhymes by Jon Scieszka
We obviously didn't read the whole book; I just chose the rhymes that related to construction and shared a few of those. The response was lukewarm, except to "Swing Around Like Rose" which got smiles all around.

Song: ABCs

Song: Hands Up High

Songs with Foam Butterflies

A butterfly got ripped in half at this story time. This is the first time a child has ever destroyed one of my foam shapes - a pretty good track record!

Song with Puppet: Mr. Sun

This puppet is always popular, but two particular kids in this group literally could not get enough of him. I had to give multiple high fives with Mr. Sun at the end of story time as well to satisfy his admirers.

Song: Row Your Boat

Song: Itsy Bitsy Spider

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...