Friday, February 1, 2013

Let's Read About Pets! Preschool Story Time, 2/1/13

Let's Read About Pets!  Preschool Story Time, 2/1/13

There wasn't very much to photograph for this story time, and I forgot to bring my phone down to the story room with me, so there's no photo.

Rhyme: There Was a Little Turtle
I had not anticipated how much they would enjoy this, but there were grins all around.

Book: Six-Dinner Sid by Inga Moore
This was the best book of the session. The kids really responded and had great comments about Sid's plan to get six dinners. 

Book: Don't Take Your Snake for a Stroll by Karin Ireland, illustrated by David Catrow
This book was a flop. The rhyming text doesn't work, and the illustrations were too chaotic. One little girl was looking right at the pictures and still kept saying, "I can't see!" - I think because it was hard to make out what was happening.

Song with Ukulele: Bought Me a Cat
This was a great way to use the ukulele! I sang the first two verses - "cat goes fiddle-i-fee" and "dog goes woof woof" then asked the kids to make their own sounds. We got up to about six animals before I started losing track, and the kids made great sounds. I really think the ukulele is most useful with these older kids, and I'm going to look for more interactive ways to use it. I also thought it was great when an older sister (roughly 7 years old) asked me if the ukulele was too small for me, or if it was okay.

Song with Ukulele: ABCs
They wanted another song, and I can play this one any time, any place. They asked for more after this, too, but my voice was already cracking, so I said we'd have to wait until next time.

Book: Oh No, George! by Chris Haughton
I expected this book to generate more conversation, and it might very well have done so with a different group of kids. This was a quiet and passive bunch - much different from the read-along crowd yesterday! But the book is one I want to keep in mind when I next visit the rec. center preschool, as it is perfect for threes.

Book:  This Moose Belongs to Me by Oliver Jeffers
I wasn't sure this would work for preschoolers, and for the most part, they didn't get it.  It might work for a small class of first or second graders.

Song: These Are My Glasses 

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...