Thursday, February 28, 2013

Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes Toddler Lap Time, 2/28/13

 Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes Toddler Lap Time, 2/28/13

Book: All of Me! A Book of Thanks by Molly Bang
The kids were so attentive to this book, but not very outwardly responsive. It's longer than what I'd usually read to this group, and I had the sense (real or imagined, I'm not sure) that the parents were wondering when it was going to be over. I showed  the kids my hands, feet, head, etc. to try and make the book more interactive, but it really turned out to be more of  a passive experience for the kids. I think Molly Bang is an author who speaks to kids on a level not fully understood by adults.
 
Song: My Eyes Are Made for Seeing  
The kids were more willing to participate in this song, especially the ones closer to two years old.

Book: Whose Knees Are These? by Jabari Asim, illustrated by LeUyen Pham
I think I have to give up on this book and Whose Toes Are Those? Kids just don't like them. I've tried them several different times, and as much as I like  the artwork, the kids lose interest after half a page.
 
Song: Where is Big Toe?
 
Book: I Can Do It, Too! by Karen Baicker, illustrated by Ken Wilson-Max
I like this book a lot more than I expected to, and I think it would have done better earlier in the session. I am going to hang onto it for tomorrow's session and put it earlier in the line-up.

Rhyme: Wiggle Fingers
 
Song: Hands Up High
 
Song: Head and Shoulders
 
Song: I'm a Little Teapot


Songs with Shaker Eggs 
I sing  a clean-up  song after we play with the shaker eggs - "If you have a shaker egg, shaker egg, shaker egg, if you have a shaker egg, bring it up to me." This is hands-down the kids' favorite part of story time, and today they were like a stampede, all trying to be  the first one to make it into the basket with their eggs.


Song: Itsy Bitsy Spider
 
Rhyme: This is Big, Big, Big

Song: If You’re Happy and You Know It

I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...