Thursday, January 10, 2013

Welcome to Winter! Baby Lap Time, 1/10/13

Baby Lap Time is back! Beginning with this week, this is now a weekly program. We still require people to register, but now it's week by week instead of in six week blocks. I can't say everyone is thrilled with the new system, but it is more fair, and it is also more manageable for the children's staff. This was a great session - not everyone came, but those who did were engaged and very willing to participate. 

 Welcome to Winter! Baby Lap Time, 1/10/13 

Rhyme: Cheek Chin
I used my new hedgehog puppet (see my Flannel Friday post tomorrow to meet him!) as my "baby" for this rhyme, and it went very well.

Book: Oh! by Kevin Henkes
People laughed at the way I read the word "oh!" but I think it was in a friendly way.

Song with Poster: I’m a Little Snowman
I created the snowman in the picture at the top of this post so we could have a visual to go with the song. The babies seemed to love it, especially one little boy who came crawling right up to touch it.

Song: A Hat Goes On My Head
We sang this song without the flannel board pieces because I don't think babies pay much attention to small images at a distance. All the parents sang with me, and I saw two babies imitating my motions!

Song: Dance Like Snowflakes
My husband and I cut out and covered in Contact paper 60 snowflakes last night so that I would be sure to have enough for every adult to hold two. We sang this song three times, and the parents were great about participating, except the one mom who said no thanks when I tried to hand her snowflakes.

Song: There's a Snowflake on My Head (based on Raffi's There's a Spider on the Floor)
This one was fun to do as well. Some people put snowflakes on their own heads, others put them on their babies' heads. Even the babies who didn't really participate loved holding onto a snowflake. 

Song: Tony Chestnut
There was a mom sitting right next to me who "got" this song before anyone else, and I loved seeing how much it tickled her.

Song: Bumpin’ Up and Down in My Little Blue Sled

Book: Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr., illustrated by Eric Carle
The parents got really into this, asking the animals what they hear right along with me and repeating the animal names for their babies.

Song: If You’re Happy and You Know It

Song: Old MacDonald

Rhyme: This is Big, Big, Big


I use the same hello and goodbye songs at almost every session. Click here for the tunes and words. For descriptions of each of my story times, click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...