Saturday, December 29, 2012

Caldecott Challenge Post #65

The Day We Saw the Sun Come Up by Alice E. Goudey. Published 1961. Caldecott Honor 1962.

I love this book because it shows kids exploring the world around them and learning from their mother about the science behind it. A brother and sister start the day by getting up early to greet the sun. At night, they learn what has happened to the sun, and they realize it is daylight somewhere else when it is night for them. The illustrations remind me somewhat of Margaret Bloy Graham’s illustrations for All Falling Down, which won its honor ten years before this book.

Hildilid’s Night by Cheli Duran Ryan, illustrated by Arnold Lobel. Published 1971. Caldecott Honor 1972.

I have always loved Arnold Lobel, but this book was unknown to me. I really like it, despite the fact that most kids I know don’t really engage with black and white illustrations in a story time setting. I think kids would laugh, though, at Hildilid’s efforts to get rid of the night, and the irony of the ending, where she misses out on the day because she is so tired. I think there are a lot of ways to apply this book to real life, and a lot of ways to interpret its message. My favorite of Lobel’s illustrations in this one is the page where the yellow sun begins to creep into the black and white panel were Hildilid and her dog are yawning.

The Angry Moon by William Sleator. Published 1970. Caldecott Honor 1971.

There is no doubt from the image on the front cover that the moon is angry. I’m not crazy about this book as a whole, but that is a great illustration, especially for the front cover. I returned this book to the library before I had a chance to take notes, so for this one, I’m going to have to leave it at that.

See other Caldecott Challenge participants' blogs on the challenge page at LibLaura5. Follow my challenge progress here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...