Sunday, November 18, 2012

Caldecott Challenge Post #55

Goldilocks and the Three Bears. by James Marshall. Published 1988. Caldecott Honor 1989
 
This book was like a breath of fresh air. There are a lot of very serious books on the list for this challenge, but it’s not often that a funny book gets recognition. There are tons of subtle jokes in the illustrations. I loved the cats sleeping peacefully on the edge of the pool, about to be woken by Goldilocks as she jumps from the swing. Other highlights were the warning signs on the entrance to the short cut, the books all over the bears’ house, even in Baby Bear’s bed, and Papa Bear huge bunny slippers. This is a great preschool-friendly version of this story, where Goldilocks is a fun caricature and the bears are highly sympathetic characters.


Hansel and Gretel. illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky. Published 1984. Caldecott Honor 1985.
 
I was always disturbed by this story as a kid, and therefore have not read it in years. This retelling is as good as any, but the illustrations don’t strike me as very kid-friendly. The faces of the characters are kind of creepy, and even the candy house doesn’t look that inviting. I had no memory at all of the story’s happy ending - I’m glad things do turn out okay, but I will never quite get over my childhood fear of that witch.



Rapunzel. illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky. Published 1997. Caldecott Medal 1998.

The ending of this story is totally different from what I remember reading as a kid. I think perhaps I read a watered down version, or only saw the story told on kids’ TV programs. Illustrations in this style, though beautiful, keep from feeling connected to the story, so I didn’t really have a favorite image. This is another book that I just don’t have much to say about - this is happening more now that I’m reading the books I’ve been putting off all year!

See other Caldecott Challenge participants' blogs on the challenge page at LibLaura5. Follow my challenge progress here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...