Thursday, July 7, 2011

Pre-K Class Visit, 7/7

This group had about 12 kids from the school, and a few others who wandered in and helped themselves about halfway through. I felt like I didn't do a very good job today, but I think it was really just that these kids didn't click with these specific books. Better luck when they visit next month, I guess!



Opening Song: Hello, how are you?

Book: Snip Snap! What's That? by Mara Bergman, illustrated by Nick Maland (2005)
This book was chosen by the camp teachers as part of their summer reading initiative, and I agreed to incorporate it into my story time. I wasn't crazy about it in the beginning, but it really grew on me as I was reading it to prepare for today.  I love the repetition of "Were the children scared? You bet they were!" and the changing perspective as the alligator comes closer, and closer, and finally too close. I would probably do this with slightly younger kids - twos and threes - if I had my way, but it was okay for this class, too.

Song: Rum Sum Sum
Book: Tony Baloney by Pam Munoz Ryan, illustrated by Edwin Fotheringham
This book is too confusing to read aloud. It's perfectly fine 90% of  the time, but when it comes to the dialogue between Tony and his stuffed animal, no one in the audience can follow what's going on. It just doesn't translate well when read out loud. So as much as I love the look of this book, I think it's retiring from my story time stash. Sad.

Song: Shake My Sillies Out 

Song: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes (in English and Italian)
I repeated this from the 10:00 Tales for Fours and Fives session. The cassette doesn't look like it will last long, but it was nice to have something a little bit different that still fit the summer theme.


Book: Wink, The Ninja Who Wanted to Nap by J.C. Phillips
Today's group was on the young side for Pre-K, and the sense of humor in this book was just over their heads. They liked that there was a ninja, though!

Song: Chickadee

Song: Skinnamarink

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...